The Automobile and Touring Club of Egypt (ATCE) was established in 1905. It was among the first founding members of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) in 1922. The ATCE is one of the most prominent and deep-rooted automobile clubs in the world. The main credit in establishing the ATCE goes to the French Automobile Club. The ATCE was established under the patronage of Khedive Abbas Helmi II who ruled Egypt from 1892 to 1914. The first ATCE premises was in 25 Al-Madabegh Street, which is today’s Sherif Street.
Prince Aziz Hasan, who was fond of vehicles and among the first car owners in Egypt, was the club’s first chairman. Upon its establishment, ATCE enrollment fees were around LE6 while the annual membership fee was LE5.
The aim of establishing the ATCE was gathering automobiles’ lovers both Egyptians and foreign residents in Egypt. Of course, the main condition to join the club was the ownership of a vehicle and accordingly only few members joined it. The ATCE was keen to acquire its members some driving skills and acquaint them with the vehicle’s parts and how they function.
Since its inception, the ATCE has organized numerous automobiles’ races including the first automobiles’ race in the Shubra District in 1905, a second race at the Pyramids foot, a third race in Heliopolis in 1908 and a fourth one in 1911.
The club did not last for a long time as the case with the majority of other automobile clubs around the world due to World War One as car factories in Europe shifted to produce weapons.
After the World War One was over, the notion of establishing an automobile club surfaced again in the beginning of 1920s with the increasing number of vehicles all around Egypt. Since 1920, serious efforts were exerted to reestablish the club by many automobile lovers including Alex Comanos who had served as the club manager.